Sound knowledge of law is pre-requisite to be a good investigator. He should be well versed with legal provisions relating to procedure , penal and special and local laws. He must have both imagination and curiosity and ability to use them advantageously. Intuitition is one of the vital qualities of a good investigator.
Investigator should have excellent organisational capabilities like organizing the data, liaison with other agencies, leading the team etc. He should be emotionally well balanced, detached, inquisitive, suspecting, discerning, self-disciplined and preserving. Ability to write quality report is a must with collecting and presenting the admissible evidence before thecourt of law .
Good criminal investigator shall preferably possess the following
1) Extraordinary capacity or observation, recall and attention to detail.
2) Objectivity and freedom from preconceived notions.
3) Perseverance, zeal, fact and application of knowledge,
4) Strong Commonsense
5) Be a good judge of human psychology
6) Agreeable manners with firmness in dealings.
7) Standard education with a knowledge about elementary principles and application of science and technology.
8) Proficiency in writing reports
9) Sincerity, honesty and integrity and strong will and determination to achieve the desired result.
Finally, cultivating and effectively using informers and sources.