Alam Ara film is a love story between a prince and a gypsy girl, entirely based on a Parsi play written by Joseph David.
Story centers on an imaginary, historical royal family in the kingdom of Kumarpur and main characters are the king and his two warring wives Dilbahar and Navbahar. Their rivalry escalates when a fakir predicts that Navbahar will bear the king's heir. Dilbahar, in revenge, attempts to have an affair with the kingdom's chief minister Adil. Affair goes sour and a vengeful Dilbahar imprisons him and exiles his daughter, Alam Ara (Zubeida).
In exile, Alam Ara is brought upby Gypsies and returning to the palace at Kumarpur, Alam Ara meets and falls in love with the charming young prince (Master Vithal). Finally in the end, Adil is released, Dilbahar is punished and the lovers marry. Film was inspired by the first movie version of Jerome Kern's Show Boat ,released by Universal Pictures.
Alam Ara music were widely successful, including the hit song De de khuda ke naam per, which was also the first song of the Indian cinema, was sung by actor Wazir Mohammed Khan who played a fakir in the film It was recorded live with musical accompaniment of a harmonium and a tabla.
Alam Ara also marked the
Casting of Alam Ara include Master Vithal ... Adil , Zubeida ... Alam Ara, this made her the First Talkie Actress of India, Jillo, J. Sushila, Prithviraj Kapoor and Elizer.
Music Director was Ferozshah M. Mistri and B. Irani, and film has got seven songs:
• De de khuda ke naam pe pyaare, taaqat ho gar dene ki, kuch chaahe agar to maang le mujhse himmat ho gar lene ki: Wazir Mohammed Khan
• Badla Dilbayega Ya Rabb tu Sitamgaron se: Zubeida
• Rutha Hai Asman gum ho gaya mahatab: Jillu
• Teri Katili nigahon ne mara
• De dil ko aaram aye saki gulfam
• Bhar bhar ke jam pila ja sagar ke chalane bala
• Daras bina mare hai tarse naina pyare